Thursday, January 18, 2018

How to Get Good Work

There is just something about a high-quality product that produces long-term satisfaction. The key to getting high quality is finding a quality contractor.  And that can be difficult to do.
What do you look for when you’re looking for a professional paint contractor?
Character. Integrity.
Someone with character is going to be responsible. They are going to put in full days and long days if necessary. They’re not going to take lots of breaks and leisurely lunches.
Nehl's House-initial photo

Go see some of the contractor’s work. Meet with previous customers if possible. You really can’t go exclusively by referral. One person’s “wonderful job” is someone else’s “hack work”. There is no accounting for taste.
Price is generally one indicator of quality. Low bid work is rarely satisfying.
Listen to the contractor talk about his previous work. Some contractors are “slick”—they don’t care about the quality of their work. They just want your money.  They have an oily insincere way about them. And they can’t be trusted.  A good contractor is proud of his work and will want to tell you about it and hopefully have pictures.
Ask questions. You should get patient answers or at least, “I’ll find out”.
A word about appearance. Things are different than they have been in the past. Tattoos and related items are a fact of contemporary life. For good or ill. Clean cut is a wonderful thing but rare. Generally, however, you don’t want Charles Manson look-a-likes or hoodlums working in your home. 
Getting work well-done is a wonderful thing. Getting shoddy work is like having a pebble in your boot. 

Sunday, September 21, 2014

Bare veneers. bed set from Aledo @ Circa. (do people do magic anymore? they do here. lol)

bare wood. veneer. demi-lune. I predict spectacularity. (is that a word--it is now. lol)

table top from Tracy from the Eastside.

part of bed we are working on from Aledo.

part of bed set. we did some color work on this. It is gorgeous.

Circa had a client that needed some ceramic pots redone. This is our sandblaster removing the glaze. Th

This is Junior begining to blast glaze.

Temp/humidity was well over 100 degrees and then he has to put on this get-up.

I had to back off to get this shot. Cloud was remarkable.

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

blasted sand!

Jr. suiting up to do the deed. I don't know what temp/humidity was but it was way too hot to
put this stuff on for me.  :( 
We needed a ceramic pot blasted. I had tried 60 grit paper, elbow grease--to no avail.

Saturday, September 6, 2014

cabinet repair at Circa

on old plane that Ray is refurbishing.

Some of the WizardKing's handiwork.

Prior to color work.

Saturday, August 30, 2014

I cleaned this today. Murphy's Oil. Part of four piece set. We were debating whether or not this was faux bois or real burl. It is real. Telling ya.
Circa is on Park Hill near 8th Ave. Furniture restoration shop. Right across the street from Old Neighborhood Grill on FW's Southside. 817.924.4822

I'm working at Circa on Park Hill these day. Love my job.

This is what we start with.

Atticus, the Wizard King, Circa's woodworker.

This is what the shop is full of. And we get to work on it. :0 If it looks gorgeous then that is because it IS gorgeous.