Sunday, September 21, 2014

Bare veneers. bed set from Aledo @ Circa. (do people do magic anymore? they do here. lol)

bare wood. veneer. demi-lune. I predict spectacularity. (is that a word--it is now. lol)

table top from Tracy from the Eastside.

part of bed we are working on from Aledo.

part of bed set. we did some color work on this. It is gorgeous.

Circa had a client that needed some ceramic pots redone. This is our sandblaster removing the glaze. Th

This is Junior begining to blast glaze.

Temp/humidity was well over 100 degrees and then he has to put on this get-up.

I had to back off to get this shot. Cloud was remarkable.

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

blasted sand!

Jr. suiting up to do the deed. I don't know what temp/humidity was but it was way too hot to
put this stuff on for me.  :( 
We needed a ceramic pot blasted. I had tried 60 grit paper, elbow grease--to no avail.

Saturday, September 6, 2014

cabinet repair at Circa

on old plane that Ray is refurbishing.

Some of the WizardKing's handiwork.

Prior to color work.

Saturday, August 30, 2014

I cleaned this today. Murphy's Oil. Part of four piece set. We were debating whether or not this was faux bois or real burl. It is real. Telling ya.
Circa is on Park Hill near 8th Ave. Furniture restoration shop. Right across the street from Old Neighborhood Grill on FW's Southside. 817.924.4822

I'm working at Circa on Park Hill these day. Love my job.

This is what we start with.

Atticus, the Wizard King, Circa's woodworker.

This is what the shop is full of. And we get to work on it. :0 If it looks gorgeous then that is because it IS gorgeous.

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Oak chair repair&touch-up

Near black stain about 3" from back of chair. I had scrubbed on stain to get it this clean. Stain was "in" the wood.

I ended up "wood-graining" the stain to remove. I recommended to my customer that we NOT strip the piece because it's patina looked wonderful. We just wanted to hide major problems.

Lighter stain in seat.

Post repair of stain.

Chip out of right side.

Chip filled with epoxy and then re-colored and lacquered. Not practicable to close joint.





Touch-up on furniture

Sofa-before repairs.
 My customer has had teen boys in the house. I did several repairs on different pieces. This sofa is representative of the work.

I used colored powders and spray touch-up lacquer to fix the blemishes.
Same section of same sofa post repair. Burn-in sticks not needed. Just color and spray of lacquer (with appropriate masking of leather.

Other section of same sofa--pre-repair

Above section with repair.

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Re-glueing/ touch-up of oak tandem folding chair.

This is the tandem folding chair after I had cleaned it with Murphy's Oil Soap and re-installed the slats and re-glued piece together. No attempt to re-finish here thereby leaving patina intact.

Slats from quarter-sawn oak from an old well-worn folding chair. The medullary rays, the lighter sections that break up the grain are terrific here.

Monday, May 19, 2014

burnished plaster ceiling

Cabinets were lily-white and really made the room seem incomplete. Just did a basic dry-brush technique after an off-white basecoat on the cabinets and then a clear dull acrylic over that. The entire space worked together very well after these adjustments.
Talked to builder about finishes for this bath. Seemed that a burnished plaster in a deep blue would work so well with walls&ceilings. I executed a sample.  It did. Chris got a plaster guy to do plaster work.

disposing of burgundy walls


This room includes the kitchen and living/den area with lots of great glass.  

Pale ochre walls

"After" shot.
What I started with. Plaster not sheetrock walls.

Residue from previous paint jobs.
Talked with customer about what color to use.
Based on artwork and fabric already in room it
seemed that a dull ochre was called for. Could not find a color chip that was really even close.
None of the fabrics in the room had what I had in mind. I began repairs on the wall. A piece of  plaster came off revealing the very first color used in this 1920's house. It was dead on for what we needed. You see here the result.
Cleaned up wall sconces and did touch-up with bronze metallic and van dyke glaze matching to original work.

Saturday, May 17, 2014

Refinishing heavily "washed" oak chairs

Chairs in situ.Fabric was changed from what is displayed here. This is a very light wash.
The dining room chairs had been heavily "white-washed" and spattered. Stripped off old finish. Followed methyl chloride strip with hot sodium hydroxide scrub and then clean water rinse. Sodium hydroxide seems to get wood cleaner and you don't use gallons of very corrosive lacquer thinner. Sodium h. can be diluted with vinegar and thereby rendered benign.

epoxied tile

Note tile on backsplash. Originally it was sharp white, which didn't work with the newly glazed cabinet work. I colored some clear epoxy with rottenstone. Did about six samples. Designer picked one and--voila!

glazed cabinets

glazed cabinet work breakfast area/ kitchen

painted stone

Painted stone wall in a hallway I did off Burton Hill
detail of shuttered door and jamb